Thursday, 18 May 2017

James Ivall (1885-1918), Canadian Soldier Who Died In WW1

This is a revised version of an item posted in 2013. It contains information from James Ivall’s war record (which has recently become available online) and about his homestead in Alberta.

James Ivall was a grandson of Alexander “Sandy” Ival (1831-1911), who emigrated from Scotland to Canada in about 1837 and had ten children. James was a son of the third child, also called Alexander (1855-1922) and his wife Sarah (1859-1941). James was the third of their six children. He was born on July 11th 1885 in Morin Flats (now called Morin Heights), Quebec, about 50 miles north-west of Montreal. He was baptised by the Church of England in Quebec in 1886. The baptism record reads
James, son of Alexander Ival, of the township of Morin, Argenteuil County, Province of Quebec, farmer and of Sarah his wife was born on the eleventh of July in the year of our Lord one thousand eight hundred and eighty five and baptised the fifth day of December one thousand eight hundred and eighty six. 

The 1891 census showed Alexander Ival, aged 36, a farmer, living in Morin with his wife Sarah (28) and children Joseph (11), James (6), George (3) and Thomas (1 month). I can’t find James or his parents in the 1901 or 1911 censuses. Other evidence indicates that James’s family moved to Rainy River, a small town in NW Ontario, near the US border, sometime between 1891 and 1907.  

The spelling of the family surname in Canada seems to have changed from Ival to Ivall over the years. In the 19th century, Ival is the most common spelling in records that have survived. In the 20th century, the name is normally recorded as Ivall.

On November 6th 1905, James married Katherine McCarthy in St Patrick’s Church, Montreal, which opened in 1847 and is known for its links with the Irish Canadian community. Katherine was a Roman Catholic born in Quebec and of Irish descent. She and James were both aged 20. 

Many inhabitants of Quebec, Ontario and the Maritimes moved westwards in the early 20th century in order to take advantage of the opportunities offered by the development of the Canadian prairies. In June 1911, James applied for a homestead grant in Alberta and was given initial permission to farm 160 acres of previously uncultivated land (NW Section 31 Township 59 Range 3 Meridian W5) at Glenreagh, a small settlement 3 km from the town of Barrhead, about 120 km north-west of Edmonton. A local history book (called “Links with the Past”) records that James was one of the first homesteaders in the district. The Canadian Encyclopaedia says that homesteading was a late 19th- and early 20th-century phenomenon in which immigrants were attracted to the Canadian West by government advertisements of "free" land. Under the Dominion Lands Policy, 160 acres cost only $10, but the homesteader had to build a house, often of log or sod, and cultivate a specified area within 3 years. A new homesteader required basic agricultural implements. Since horses were expensive, most used oxen to clear and break the land. A fireguard to protect farm buildings had to be ploughed, and a vegetable garden planted and game hunted to supplement the food supply. Homesteaders and their families were often separated from friends and relatives, and many suffered years of hardship and loneliness. One of the greatest difficulties was the absence of roads and bridges. Most trails were impassable when wet. In the autumn homesteaders waited until the ground was frozen before transporting their produce to the railhead.

The Alberta Provincial Archives contain documents relating to James’s homestead grant. They include sworn statements made in August 1914 by two of his neighbours detailing the progress he had made in cultivating his land. They say that James built a house out of logs in October 1911 and had lived there since November 1911. In 1912 he broke 6 acres and cropped 3 acres, in 1913 he broke 12 acres and cropped 10 acres and in 1914 he broke 12 acres and cropped 22 acres. In 1912 James had 2 cattle, in 1913 he had 6 cattle and 3 horses, in 1914 he had 9 cattle and 4 horses. By 1914 he had built a barn and cow barn, as well as drilling a well on his land. This progress resulted in a patent for the homestead being granted to James in October 1914.

The 1916 census shows James and Katherine, both aged 30, living at Glenreagh, Edmonton, Alberta. It seems that James and Catherine had no children, as none are listed with them. The census return says that James was a farmer, spoke English and French but could not read or write.

James joined the Canadian Overseas Expeditionary Force in Edmonton on 10th May 1916. He must have volunteered, as conscription was not introduced in Canada until 1917. His attestation paper describes him as a carpenter and farmer. His height was 5 foot 11 inches, complexion ruddy, eyes grey, hair dark brown. James was given army number 231524. His war record can be viewed (free) on the Library and Archives Canada website.

James was assigned to the 202nd Battalion. He spent 46 days in hospital between 26 June and 10 August 1916, suffering from otitis media, an inflammatory disease of the inner ear. On 23 November 1916, his unit sailed from Halifax, Nova Scotia on board the RMS Mauretania, a Cunard Liner that was used as a troop ship at this time. They arrived at Liverpool on 30 November 1916 and James was sent to Witley Military Camp (near Aldershot), which had been set up by the Canadian Army. James was transferred to the 28th Battalion, Canadian Infantry and arrived in France on 25 May 1917. On 19 November 1917 he was admitted to a field hospital with bronchitis and discharged to duty on 4 December 1917. In February 1918, he was granted 14 days leave in the UK, after which returned to his unit in France.

On 25 May 1918, the 28th Battalion were in Divisional Reserve at Bellacourt, a village 10 kilometres south-west of Arras. The Battalion’s war diary says that the enemy shelled the village, causing 14 casualties, 4 killed and 10 wounded, of which one (this was probably James) went to hospital. A Brigade sports event in Bellacourt went ahead that day, in spite of the shelling.
Extract from the war diary of the 28th Battalion, Canadian Infantry

James’s service record says that he sustained shrapnel wounds to his face and left shoulder on 25 May 1918. They were probably caused by a shell that exploded near him. He was taken to No 56 Casualty Clearing Station, which was located at Gezaincourt (30 km south-west of Bellacourt) at that time. He died of his wounds on 28 May 1918 aged 32. Private James Ivall is buried at Bagneux British Cemetery, Gezaincourt.

619,636 Canadians enlisted with the Canadian Expeditionary Force during the war, and approximately 424,000 served overseas. Of these men and women, 59,544 members of the CEF died during the war, 51,748 of them as a result of enemy action.

Records indicate that James was one of two Canadian born Ivalls who fought in the First World War. The other was James’s brother George Ivall (born 1889), who survived the war.

James’s wife continued to live in the same district for many years after his death and was highly respected and admired for the assistance she gave to others in the community (this information is from “Links with the Past”). 

Friday, 13 January 2017

George Marcos Ivall (1902-61), Migrant from Greece to USA

There is a small group of Ivalls in the USA who are not related to the Canadian and English Ivalls. They are descended from George Marcos Ivolotis who emigrated from Greece to the USA and changed his name to Ivall.

George was born on January 2nd 1902 in Corinth, Greece. He was a son of Marcos and Ellen Ivolotis. George migrated to the USA in 1921, aged 19. In 1929 he married Hannah (later known as Ann) DuBree. He was aged 27 when they married, she was aged 16. She was born in Indiana, a daughter of James DuBree, a coal miner, and his wife Ellen.

The 1930 census shows George, a cook at a restaurant, and Hannah at 1421 E 69th Place, Chicago. They were living in the household of John Ferrare (aged 30, a mechanic at a motor manufactory), his wife Wilma (25) and their four children. Wilma was Hannah’s sister.

In 1934 George and his wife were living in Kankakee, Illinois (a town 60 miles south of Chicago), when their first child Ronald George Ivall was born. Later that year they moved to Monticello, a small town (1940 population 2,523) in Illinois, 150 miles south west of Chicago. Their second child, Jerry, was born in 1940. The census that year shows the family living at a rented house in E Lincoln Street, Monticello. The household consisted of George (age given as 40, although he was actually 38), his wife Hannah (listed as Ann aged 26) and their sons Ronald (6) and Jerry (3 months). George was working at a chef in a restaurant and had been paid $960 for 52 weeks work in 1939. Also living with them were Hannah’s siblings Frank DuBree (19, a clerk in a grocery store), Thomas DuBree (21, a labourer) and Louise Nolan (25).

In 1943 George opened Ivall’s Café, which was on the north side of the square in Monticello. The business was later run by George’s son Ronald. Travel records show that George arrived on a flight to Chicago in 1959, when his address was 106 West Washington Street, Monticello.

George died on September 9th 1961 aged 59 in Kirby Hospital, Monticello and is buried in Monticello Cemetery. His wife died in 1980 aged 67.
George’s obituary published in a local paper
(IOOF = Independent Order of Odd Fellows, a fraternal order dedicated to helping others)

George's gravestone

Ronald Ivall (George's son) was Monticello's superintendent of city services from 1976 to 1996 and the town's mayor from 2001 until his death in 2003.

Saturday, 7 January 2017

Meredith Alyssa Ivall (1990-2015), Pharmacy Student

Meredith Ivall was descended from Alexander Ivall (1855-1922), a son of Alexander “Sandy” Ival (1831-1911), who came to Canada from Scotland c 1837. She was born in 1990 and went to school in Atikokan, a township in the Rainy River District in Northwestern Ontario, Canada. Sadly, Meredith’s life was cut short by cancer. She died in 2015 aged 25, before she was able to complete her doctoral studies in Pharmacy at the University of Waterloo, Ontario.


Wednesday, 28 December 2016

Albert Edward Ivall (1902-87): Engineer

Albert Edward Ivall (known as Ted) was a great grandson of David Ivall (1795-1850), a successful coach maker who was a brother and business partner of my ancestor Thomas Ivall (1781-1835). David left £5,000 (a substantial sum of money then) to each of his six children when he died. The youngest was Albert Ivall (1839-97), who apparently lost most of his inheritance between 1861 and 1871, when he was a farmer. He was declared bankrupt in 1875 following a court case brought against him by the Mayor and Corporation of Hastings. His eldest son was Albert Ivall junior (1862-1905), the father of Albert Edward Ivall.

In 1891, Albert Ivall junior married Clara Amelia Stock in Poplar, East London. They had six children, namely Mabel Edith (1892-1963), Ethel Clara (1893-1959), Albert Clifford and David William (twins born in 1896 who both died in 1897), Harold Victor (1900-85) and Albert Edward, who was born on August 4th 1902 in Poplar. Albert’s father ran a grocer’s shop at 10 White Post Lane, Poplar. The site of this building (which no longer exists) was near Hackney Wick tube station, just to the west of the Olympic Park. Albert was baptised on August 24th 1902 at St Mark’s Church, Victoria Park.

Albert’s father died in 1905 aged 43 of “phthisis”, another name for tuberculosis. His will left his entire estate (£608 net) to his wife, Clara. She managed to get Harold and Albert into a school for orphans at Wanstead, on the edge of Epping Forest. Entry was by election only. These were normally held in a tavern in Fleet Street or Ludgate Hill and at The London Tavern in Bishopsgate Street. Albert got 1,209 votes in the election held in May 1908. The 1911 census shows Albert (aged 8) and his brother Harold (10) at the school. It was renamed Royal Wanstead School in 1939 and closed in 1971. The school building is now Snaresbrook Crown Court.

Albert’s mother (Clara) moved to Sussex. Trade Directories for 1909, 1911 and 1913 list her under the heading “Apartments” and give her address as 29 Gensing Road, St Leonards, Hastings. In 1916 and 1920 she is listed as a dress maker at 100 Burford Road, Nottingham. Electoral registers for 1922 to 1924 show Clara and her son Harold living at 56 Noel Street, Nottingham. Albert would have been too young to be listed on the 1922 electoral register.

 
Albert in 1919 (aged 16)

Albert decided to emigrate to Australia. Shipping records show that he travelled third class on board the SS Orsova (an ocean liner owned by the Orient Shipping Line), leaving London on April 1st 1922 and arriving at Freemantle on May 4th 1922. He was listed as aged 19, an engineering apprentice, home address 56 Noel Street, Nottingham. In 1925 electoral registers show that Albert was a farm hand living at Yorkrakine, Toodyay, Western Australia. Toodyay, is a small town on the Avon River in the wheatbelt region of Western Australia, 85 kilometres north-east of Perth. He later returned to England, arriving at Tilbury on March 17th 1930, having travelled 3rd class on the SS Orsova from Freemantle. He was then aged 27, an engineer with 56 Noel Street, Nottingham as his proposed address.

On September 21st 1935, Albert married Evelyn Gertrude Parsons at Holy Trinity Church, Nottingham. He was aged 33, an excavator driver living at 56 Noel St. She was aged 30, living at 37 Forest Row, a daughter of George Alfred Parsons, a retired outfitter. They went on to bring up two children, a girl and a boy.

The 1939 register shows Albert and Evelyn living at 15 Wolverton Road, Birmingham and gives his occupation as “aero detail fitter”. Electoral registers for 1945, 1950 and 1955 also show Albert and Evelyn living at 15 Wolverton Road, Northfield, Birmingham. This is quite near Austin Motors at Longbridge, where Albert worked for many years.

One of Albert’s nieces recalls that he had a cheerful personality and would exchange banter with his brother Harold when they met.

Albert in 1955

Margaret Rose Ivall, Albert and Evelyn’s daughter, married in 1960. Sadly she died suddenly of heart failure in 1974 aged only 35.


Albert retired in 1967 and continued to live at 15 Wolverton Road until he died on 27th May 1987 aged 84 at West Heath Hospital, Birmingham. He was cremated at Lodge Hill Cemetery in Selly Oak, Birmingham and his ashes were scattered in the Garden of Remembrance there. His wife Evelyn died in 1995 aged 91.

Thursday, 17 November 2016

Ethel Clara Ivall (1893-1959), Nurse

Ethel Clara Ivall was a great granddaughter of David Ivall (1795-1850), a highly successful coach maker. His youngest child was Albert Ivall (1839-97), who married Maria Streeter in 1861. Their eldest son was Albert Ivall junior (1862-1905), the father of Ethel.

In 1891, Albert Ivall junior married Clara Amelia Stock in Poplar, East London. They had six children, namely Mabel Edith (1892-1963), Ethel Clara (1893-1959), Albert Clifford and David William (twins born in 1896 who both died in 1897), Harold Victor (1900-1985) and Albert Edward (1902-1987). Ethel was born in Paddington on December 12th 1893 and baptised on January 28th 1894 at St Mary’s Church, Paddington Green.

The 1901 census shows Albert Ivall (aged 39, a grocery and provision dealer), his wife Clara (33) and children Mabel (8), Ethel (7) and Harold (4 months) plus a domestic servant living at 10 White Post Lane, a grocery shop in Hackney Wick. The building no longer exists.

Albert Ivall (Ethel’s father) died in 1905 aged 43 of “phthisis” (another name for tuberculosis), when Ethel was aged 11. His will left his entire estate (£608 net) to his wife, Clara.

I can’t find Ethel in the 1911 census. She wasn’t with her mother Clara, who appears as an apartment house keeper living at 29 Gensing Road, St Leonards on Sea, Sussex with her daughter Mabel (a sewing machinist).

Nursing Registers on Ancestry show that Ethel studied for a nursing certificate at Hull Royal Infirmary between 1918 (when she was 24) and 1922. She became a registered nurse on June 15th 1923 in London. The registers give her address as 56 Noel St, Nottingham between 1926 and 1934 and 242 Perry Road, Sherwood, Nottingham between 1937 and 1946.

Electoral Registers record that Ethel was living with her mother Clara and brother Albert in 1930 and 1931, at 56 Noel Road, Nottingham.

The 1939 Register lists Ethel, a trained nurse, single, at 242 Perry Road, Nottingham with her mother Clara (who died in 1947). Ethel  was a matron at Sherwood Hospital. One of her nieces remembers her as a very pleasant person.
Ethel in 1955

Ethel died in 1959 aged 65 of leukaemia in Nottingham. She was cremated and is commemorated on her mother’s gravestone in the Northern Cemetery, Bulwell, Nottingham. The inscription reads
“In loving memory of CLARA AMELIA IVALL who died April 25th 1947 aged 79 years.
Also of ALBERT IVALL husband of above who died March 3rd 1905 aged 43 years. At rest. Interred at Manor Park Cemetery, Essex.
Also their beloved daughter ETHEL CLARA died Jan 29th 1959. Cremated.”

Probate records say

IVALL Ethel Clara of 242 Perry Rd, Sherwood, Nottingham, spinster, died 29 January 1959 at The General Hospital, Nottingham. Probate Nottingham 11 May to Harold Victor Ivall turner and Albert Edward Ivall fitter. Effects £3,852 17s 9d.

Tuesday, 11 October 2016

Henry Martin Arthur Palliser Heywood (1866-1949) – NZ Businessman

Henry Martin Arthur Palliser Heywood was a grandson of David Ivall (1795-1850), a successful coachmaker in London. David's daughter Emma Ivall (1835-1886) married Joseph Martin Heywood (1832-1904) and emigrated to New Zealand. Henry was the sixth of their eight children (5 girls and 3 boys). He was born on April 20th 1866 in Avonside, Christchurch, New Zealand. Joseph developed a successful business as a merchant and shipping agent in Christchurch (see the item about Emma Heywood nee Ivall on this blog).

After he completed his schooling, Henry got a job in 1887 working as a clerk for the Treasury Department of the New Zealand government in Wellington. He married Lilian Lee on December 18th 1895 in Wellington, New Zealand. He was aged 29, she was 24. They later had five children: Nola (1898-1935), Arthur Lee (1902-79), Ivall Cora (1904-79), Robert Warwick (1906-96) and Barbara Lilian (1911-67).

In 1896, Henry became a sheep and dairy farmer near Pahiatua, a small town 160 km NE of Wellington. In 1903 he bought part ownership of the Colonial Carrying Company in Wellington, becoming its sole owner in 1910.

Henry was one of the 22 nephews and nieces of his uncle David James Ivall (1830-73) who each received about £500 from his estate in 1909, following the death of David's wife in 1907. This was a substantial sum then, equivalent to about £163,000 now.

In 1935 Henry purchased the Wellington business of the N.Z. Express Company. More information about Henry’s business career is given in the item below.
Item from New Zealand Who's Who


Henry died on November 10th 1949 aged 84 and was cremated at Karori Cemetery, Wellington.
Plaque in Karori Cemetery


Henry's wife Lilian died in 1959 aged 88.

Thursday, 26 May 2016

Martha James Brisco Sparks nee Ivall (1831–99)

Martha James Brisco Ivall was the eldest daughter of David Ivall, who was the younger brother of Thomas Ivall (1781-1835), my great great great grandfather.

Martha was born 30 September 1831 in St Pancras and christened on 2 May 1832 in St Pancras Church. She was the second child of David Ivall (1795-1850) and his wife Martha Ivall nee James (1796-1853). They had six other children namely David James (1830-73), James (1832-96), Laura (1833-39), Emma (1835-86), Kate Bainbrigge (1836-1917) and Albert (1839-97).

Martha’s father was a highly successful coach maker. In the 1841 census David Ivall’s family were living at 158 Tottenham Court Rd, the address of his business. Martha (aged 9) is listed as a pupil at a school in Chiswick Square, Chiswick. In 1845 the family moved to 14 Blomfield Road, Paddington, a large house that overlooked the Regent’s Canal. It is still there (but is now number 24).

Martha’s father died on 6 June 1850 when Martha was aged 18. The 1851 census shows David’s widow Martha Ivall (aged 55, an annuitant), David James Ivall (20, an artist), Martha Ivall (19), James Ivall (18, an apprentice coachbuilder) and two servants living at 14 Blomfield Rd.

Martha’s mother died on 13 June 1853. Martha inherited approximately £5,000 (equivalent to about £290,000 in modern day terms) in total from the estate of her parents.

On 3 April 1856, Martha married William Sheldrake Francis Sparks at St James Church, Sussex Gardens, Paddington. He was 24 (the same age as her). The witnesses included Martha’s brother David and her sister Emma.

William Sheldrake Francis Sparks had been declared bankrupt in May 1855. The announcement in the London Gazette described him as a waterproofer, dealer and chapman (ie pedlar) of 115 New Bond St, Middlesex. A dividend of 1s 10½d in the pound on his debts was declared in March 1856. At the time of his marriage in April 1856, William’s occupation was given as surgical instrument maker, as was that of his of father, Jonathon Sparks (they were in partnership).

London Post Office Directories for 1857 to 1865 list William S Sparks at 9 Beaufoy Terrace, Edgeware Rd, Marylebone. The 1861 census shows William S Sparks (aged 29, surgical instrument maker employing 3 men and 2 women), Martha (29), a daughter Minna aged 3, a son Eric aged 1 and two servants living at 9 Beaufoy Terrace.

The following notice appeared in the 19 January 1864 London Gazette :
“Notice is hereby given that the Partnership between us the undersigned Jonathon Sparks and William Sheldrake Francis Sparks, in the trades or businesses of Surgical Bandage and Truss Makers, at No 28 Conduit Street, Regent Street, in the county of Middlesex and elsewhere, under the firm or style of Sparks and Son, was, on the 31st day of December last, dissolved by mutual consent; and in future the said businesses will be carried on by the said William Sheldrake Francis Sparks on his separate account; and who will pay and receive all debts owing from and to the said partnership in the regular course of trade. Witness our hands this 15th day of January 1864.                                      
W. S. Sparks                   Jonathon Sparks           
                  
Martha’s daughter Minna Martha Sparks died in 1867 aged 10 and her son Eric John William Sparks died in 1868 aged 8. I cannot find Martha in the 1871 census, but her husband William (aged 38, a surgical machinist) is listed as a lodger at South Lodge, Willesden, Kilburn.

William Sparks (Martha’s husband) died on 13 January 1880 aged 48. The death certificate gives the cause of death as "Anasarca Congestion of Brain". Anasarca is a medical condition characterized by swelling caused by effusion of fluid into the extracellular space. It is usually caused by liver, renal or heart failure. The entry in the probate index reads “The will of William Sheldrake Francis Sparks late of 2 St Andrew’s Villas, Church Rd, Watford, Gentleman, who died 13 Jan 1880 at 2 St Andrew’s Villas was proved at the Principal Registry by Louisa Birley of 2 St Andrew’s Villas, one of the executors. Personal estate under £2,000.” William’s will (dated 29 Nov 1879) leaves everything to Louisa Birley, spinster, his housekeeper. It makes no mention of Martha, who was by then was estranged from her husband. The death duty register says that Louisa received £1635 in total from William’s estate and was not a blood relation to him.

In 1881 Martha (an annuitant) was living with her brother James (a coachmaker’s clerk aged 47) at Thames St, Hampton, Middlesex. Also at the address were James’s wife Sarah (40) and their children William (12), Edith (11), Henry (7) and Percy (4).

In 1891 Martha was listed as a widow aged 59, living on her own means. She was a lodger at 105 Barnsbury Rd, Islington.

Martha in died in 1899 aged 67. The probate index reads “Martha James Brisco Sparks of 38 Noel St, Islington, widow died 17 Mar 1899. Probate to William Sweetland, solicitor £3,379. Resworn Feb 1900 £3,452.”

The record of the death duty due on her estate is in document IR 26/7490, folio 672, held at Kew. Martha’s estate was allocated as stated in her will (made in 1897). Martha’s sister Kate Legg received £500 on which duty at 3% was payable ie £15. The will released her brothers Albert and James from money they owed her and gave her nephew William Ivall (this must be William Albert Ivall, 1868-1948, a son of her brother James) the money she had advanced to him apart from £28 for funeral expenses. A note says “Exec can give no information as to sums owing to dec ?”. No duty on these sums was levied. The residue of the estate ie £2675-19-4 was left to the British and Foreign Bible Society on which they paid 10% duty ie £267-11-11. 

In 1866, Martha and her husband William were both named as leaseholders of a business property in Cardington Street, near Euston Station. It seems that there was uncertainty over whether William had remarried after he separated from Martha, which needed to be resolved after her death. Camden Archives have the following statement made by Sarah Ivall (wife of Martha's brother James) in July 1899.
The Louisa referred to is Louisa Birley.